Defy the Stars (2017)
Noemi Vidal is a teen soldier from the planet Genesis, once a colony of Earth that’s now at war for its independence. The humans of Genesis have fought Earth’s robotic “mech” armies for decades with no end in sight.
After a surprise attack, Noemi finds herself stranded in space on an abandoned ship where she meets Abel, the most sophisticated mech prototype ever made. One who should be her enemy. But Abel’s programming forces him to obey Noemi as his commander, which means he has to help her save Genesis–even though her plan to win the war will kill him.
Together they embark on a daring voyage through the galaxy. Before long, Noemi begins to realize Abel may be more than a machine, and, for his part, Abel’s devotion to Noemi is no longer just a matter of programming.
Available for Purchase From…
Praise for Defy the Stars
- Publisher’s Weekly (starred review) – “Poignant and profound. . . . thrills and satisfies while defying expectations.”
- Booklist – “This first-rate STEM-packed adventure explores what it means to be human and whether people are truly their brothers’ keepers.”
- Kirkus Reviews (starred review) – “Intelligent and thoughtful, a highly relevant far-off speculative adventure.”
- SFX – “The kind of book that makes you ration pages as you count down to the ending, just to make it last that bit longer. . . . Just marvellous.”
- School Library Journal – “A must-buy for sci-fi readers.”
- Kass Morgan, New York Times bestselling author of The 100 series – “Startlingly original and achingly romantic . . . . DEFY THE STARS is nothing short of masterful.”
- Beth Revis, New York Times bestselling author of the Across the Universe series – “This book shines like the stars.”