Defy the Stars (2017)
Noemi Vidal is a teen soldier from the planet Genesis, once a colony of Earth that’s now at war for its independence. The humans of Genesis have fought Earth’s robotic “mech” armies for decades with no end in sight.
After a surprise attack, Noemi finds herself stranded in space on an abandoned ship where she meets Abel, the most sophisticated mech prototype ever made. One who should be her enemy. But Abel’s programming forces him to obey Noemi as his commander, which means he has to help her save Genesis–even though her plan to win the war will kill him.
Together they embark on a daring voyage through the galaxy. Before long, Noemi begins to realize Abel may be more than a machine, and, for his part, Abel’s devotion to Noemi is no longer just a matter of programming.
Available for Purchase From…
Praise for Defy the Stars
- Publisher’s Weekly (starred review) – “Poignant and profound. . . . thrills and satisfies while defying expectations.”
- Booklist – “This first-rate STEM-packed adventure explores what it means to be human and whether people are truly their brothers’ keepers.”
- Kirkus Reviews (starred review) – “Intelligent and thoughtful, a highly relevant far-off speculative adventure.”
- SFX – “The kind of book that makes you ration pages as you count down to the ending, just to make it last that bit longer. . . . Just marvellous.”
- School Library Journal – “A must-buy for sci-fi readers.”
- Kass Morgan, New York Times bestselling author of The 100 series – “Startlingly original and achingly romantic . . . . DEFY THE STARS is nothing short of masterful.”
- Beth Revis, New York Times bestselling author of the Across the Universe series – “This book shines like the stars.”
Defy the Worlds (2018)
An outcast from her home — Shunned after a trip through the galaxy with Abel, the most advanced cybernetic man ever created, Noemi Vidal dreams of traveling through the stars one more time. And when a deadly plague arrives on Genesis, Noemi gets her chance. As the only soldier to have ever left the planet, it will be up to her to save its people…if only she wasn’t flying straight into a trap.
A fugitive from his fate — On the run to avoid his depraved creator’s clutches, Abel believes he’s said good-bye to Noemi for the last time. After all, the entire universe stands between them…or so he thinks. When word reaches him of Noemi’s capture by the very person he’s trying to escape, Abel knows he must go to her, no matter the cost.
But capturing Noemi was only part of Burton Mansfield’s master plan. In a race against time, Abel and Noemi will come together once more to discover a secret that could save the known worlds, or destroy them all.
Available for Purchase From…
- Barnes & Noble
- Indie Bound
Praise for Defy the Worlds
- Kirkus Reviews — “The action raises the stakes, for individuals and entire worlds, and the romance satisfies without overwhelming.”
- VOYA — “This story line provides room for discussion about immortality, technology, tolerance and respect of differences, and right versus wrong.”
Defy the Fates (2019)
Abel only has one mission left that matters: save the life of Noemi Vidal. To do that, he not only has to escape the Genesis authorities, he also must face the one person in the galaxy who still has the means to destroy him. Burton Mansfield’s consciousness lives on, desperate for a home, and Abel’s own body is his last bargaining chip.
Alone in the universe.
Brought back from the brink of death, Noemi Vidal finds Abel has not only saved her life, but he’s made her into something else, something more. Not quite mech, yet not quite human any longer, Noemi must find her place in a universe where she is utterly unique, all while trying to create a world where anyone–even a mech–can be free.
The final battle between Earth and the colony planets is here, and there’s no lengths to which Earth won’t go to preserve its domination over all humanity. But together, the universe’s most advanced mech and its first human-mech hybrid might have the power to change the galaxy for good.